Vira steam separators are Vortex type steam separators used vertically. This type of steam separator uses centrifugal force to separate the vapor and water particles, taking advantage of the difference in the specific weights of liquid and gas. In this case, the steam is channeled into a spiral flow, which causes the denser condensate droplets to separate from the flow and flow directly down the inner wall of the separator. Gravity then pulls under the separator where a steam trap is placed to drain the condensate.
Steam leaving the boiler may contain water particles and this may cause water carryover from the boiler. ‘Wet’ steam is a major concern in a steam system as it can cause process and maintenance problems including lower productivity, erosion and corrosion. Separators are designed to efficiently remove the moisture from steam flow. A correctly selected separator can increase the dryness of the steam up to 99%.
Note: In general, it is recommended to install a steam separator of the same diameter as the main pipeline in an existing plant. The separated condensate collected at the bottom of the separator should be discharged with a steam trap.
Steam Separator Application Areas;
• Steam boiler outlet line
• Before control devices (Control Valves, Flow Meters etc.)
• At the entrance of steam turbines
• Before heat exchangers and dryers
• Before kitchen appliances and washing machines
• Before press machines
• Before sterilizers
• Before paint machines
• Vortex separation design is more resistant to erosion than baffle type separator
• Carbon steel and stainless steel construction types are available
• No moving parts are available